The pro-climate honeymoon is officially over for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau after breaking commitments to First Nations and to science-based decision-making. Slated to become Canada’s number one greenhouse gas polluter, this project blows Canada’s international & domestic climate commitments all on its own. It will have catastrophic consequences for wild salmon in the Skeena watershed, home of Canada’s second-largest salmon run.
We desperately need a new kind of leadership, and we were expecting more. The Liberal government assures us it accepts the realities of climate change, but appears in denial about what climate science really means. Canada cannot be a global leader on climate change and move ahead with this project. Prime Minister Trudeau, you have let us all down.
Send a letter to Justin and his cabinet expressing your disappointment in the Liberal government’s decision to approve the Petronas LNG proposal for Lelu Island at the mouth of the Skeena River. Personal messages are far more effective than a form letter, so please keep your letter personal and respectful.
Content suggestions are below the email form.
Sorry, an error occurred.
Please write in your own words – don’t copy and paste these points.
- If built, the PNW LNG project would be Canada’s biggest emitter of greenhouse gases (GHGs). Canada could not call ourselves a climate leader.
- It would account for 10 megatons of GHG’s per year while B.C. aims to reduce its emissions to 13 megatons per year by 2050.
- Estimated GHG emissions are likely low due to underestimating methane leakage
- This recent decision contradicts promises and commitments Justin Trudeau and the Liberal Party made to Canada.
- Campaign promises included a renewed, nation-to-nation relationship with Indigenous Peoples, a commitment to science-based decisions and a respect for freshwater as a precious resource.
- Canada’s 2nd largest run of wild salmon would be at risk. Salmon are important to the environment and support a $110 million commercial and sport fishing industry.
- The Lelu Island Estuary – proposed site for the project – is critical habitat for wild salmon at two very important phases of the Skeena salmon’s life cycle.
- This project has contributed to divisive tactics in communities, especially with First Nations. More than 300 First Nations, community leaders, politicians and scientists have signed a declaration asking to make this area a wild salmon refuge.
- In Trudeau’s mandate letter to all Cabinet Ministers, Canadians were expected to hold the new leadership accountable for delivering on these commitments. All of these priorities are held in question with ONE SINGLE PROJECT: the Petronas PNW LNG terminal.
- This was the Trudeau Government’s “Watershed Moment” and it has been a huge disappointment. Canada cannot be a global leader in climate change after approving this project. We’ve reviewed the math and it simply doesn’t add up.
- The Petronas PNW LNG terminal cannot be built without violating campaign promises, scientific warnings, and civil rights of First Nations and BC Residents.